Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Blue Shadows Slink with Fern Leaves

Has anyone else done anything like this?

Well, I started this one and ripped it back twice now. I think I've got a good running start on it now though. And the yarn's not wearing too thin, yet.

  1. Basic Patten that I started with: "The Slink" from Domiknitrix.
  2. Additions: a derivation of the "Staggered Fern Lace Panel" from November 28 of 365 Knitting Stitches a Year.
  3. Needles: Size 8 circular
  4. Yarn: Caron Simply Soft Shadows, Color- Soft Merino (who comes up with these names?) - 3 skeins each 3 oz / 150 yards. (Yarn weight symbol is 4 = Medium)
  5. Yarn: Caron Simply Soft , Color - DK Country Blue, 1 skein @ 6 oz / 315 yards.
  6. Guage: 17 stitches x 23 rows = 4"x4"

I've deviated from the pattern from the start. Instead of starting at the Right Underarm and knitting the Back first, I've started at the Left Underarm, and will be knitting the Front first. The plan is to gradually introduce Fern Leaves at the Left Shoulder, increasing the density of the Fern Leaves as I go across the Front. The Right Sleeve and Collar will be mostly Fern Leaves and other lacy leaf motifs. I'll probably make the sleeve longer and floatier than what is shown. At some point, I will run out of the Shadows yarn, and will need to change to the solid color. I think that'll be fine for the back, and I'll slowly decrease the Leaves as we go across the back. I'll need to knit the sleeve(s) and collar before I run out of Shadows for my plan to work.

At least that's the plan.

No comments: